This article will help you to find MAC address in Windows 8. MAC is the acronym for Media Access Control Address which is nothing but an identifying unique address assigned to a computer for communication over physical networks. One MAC address exists for each installed hardware that has a network interface card (NIC). Since, the address is registered and encoded by the manufacturer is it also known as hardware address. Besides, windows also maintains one or more MAC addresses, which are not associated with hardware cards. For example, Windows dial-up networking and VPN clients use virtual MAC addresses. MAC addresses of these virtual network adapters are of same length and format.
MAC Address is a 48 bits address field. So it can hold 2^48 MAC addresses in all. MAC Addresses are of two types-
a. universally administered addresses – This is assigned by the manufacturer of the NIC.
b. locally administered addresses – This is assigned to the device by the network administrator.
MAC Addresses are of 48 bites or 6 byte. The first three bytes represents an identifier of a specific organization, i.e the company by which this device has been manufactured. This is known as the OUI or Organisationally Unique Identifier. Remaining 3 bytes represents the address which depends on the convention used by the manufacturer. Thus we get an idea in brief about the MAC Address. LAN connections, Ethernet ,802.11, wireless networks, Bluetooth IEEE 802.5, token ring, IEEE 802 networks, FDDI, ATM uses MAC addressing for communication purpose. Here you’ll learn to find the MAC Address of your Commuter.
Steps to find MAC address in Windows 8
1. Press Windows Key + C to open Windows Charms bar and click on Search. In the Search field type cmd.
2. The result comes. Right-click on it and click on Run as Administrator. If prompted by UAC, click Yes to continue.
3. Type the following command
4. Now, there comes the list of physical addresses for various network devices.
5. If you want to know the MAC address of other devices connected to your Network, type the following command
arp -a. You’ll get the result like this. You can also find MAC address of computer on LAN.